2013 Kind of Sucked…
It wasn’t a bad year, but it wasn’t a great year either. 2013 started with health issues and ends with both of us feeling under the weather and keeping us from New Year’s fun with a family and a few close friends.
I was diagnosed with diabetes in February. Most people would react negatively to that news. For me, it was actually a relief. I had many unexplained things going on healthwise that were explained with the diagnosis. It made me change my diet and eat better. With a better diet and medication, my blood sugar levels are under control. I’ve lost a little weight. I started feeling a lot better than I had in quite a while.
My wife, Stephanie, had two surgeries, one early in the year and one over the summer. Details aren’t important, but they kept her down for about four months during the year. Not that she was convalescent for the entire four months, but not totally herself. Yet she’s bounced back better than ever. She started bowling again too.
We moved from our old house (still trying to sell it), to a nicer, safer neighborhood. We traded in our gas hogs (Nissan Titan and Toyota Highlander) for a pair of fuel efficient, fun to drive Mini Coopers. We celebrated 19 years of marriage on 14 May 2013. We spent a weekend in Reno for the USBC Open Championships with friends and family. Stephanie’s dad, Ed, and his wife, Judy, visited over the 4th of July holiday. We saw movies in the theater and missed many others that we wanted to see. We spent more time with friends, new and old, than we did in previous years.
Our jobs were stable; neither of us had a job change this year; yet, opportunity came knocking for Stephanie late in the year and she’ll start a new job in early 2014. My job wasn’t always peaches and cream; at times I considered searching for a new one. But changes in my workplace late in the year improved some of the less likable aspects of my job a lot; no thoughts of changing jobs anytime soon.
For a few more things I did in 2013, check out my Top 11 Things I Did in 2013 post.
What will 2014 bring?
I don’t think it can be worse than 2013, considering the health issues we both faced this past year. But, some things are known:
- Stephanie and I will celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary on 14 May 2014 with a cheesy Las Vegas vow renewal ceremony (I think that’s we decided upon). This one is just for us and maybe a small gathering of friends to help us celebrate. This will end up as the top thing I did in 2014, without a doubt.
- We’ll be in Reno over Memorial Day weekend again this year bowling in the 111th USBC Open Championships. Stephanie might bowl in it this year.
- Stephanie will start a new job early in the year.
- We will spend more time hanging out with family and friends in 2014 than we did in 2013.
- Ed and Judy will come for a visit, though not necessarily in July.
Whatever else may come in 2014, I hope it’s more good than bad for a change.
Out with the old, in with the new. Bring on 2014!